About

Founded in 1952 and beginning formal operations in 1959, University Hospitals Geauga Medical Center is a non-profit acute care facility providing a full range of services to residents in Geauga, Ashtabula, Cuyahoga, Lake, Portage and Trumbull counties in Northeast Ohio.

The hospital is located on a picturesque 65-acre campus in the heart of Geauga County and now touches more than 100,000 individual lives each year through direct services and community outreach.

Services encompass an array of inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical specialties, emergency care, health and wellness education. In addition, UH Geauga Medical Center is one of the largest employers in the county and is continuously growing to meet the increasing demand for quality, state-of-the-art services.

As part of the University Hospitals health system, UH Geauga Medical Center provides community-based health care with direct access to the clinical and research centers of excellence at University Hospitals Cleveland Medical Center. These centers are recognized world-wide for clinical innovation and leading-edge medical research.

Historical Highlights

1925

Walter C. Corey, MD, the “country doctor,” begins serving Geauga County

1952

Geauga Hospital Association, Inc. is founded as private, non-profit, community-based hospital

1958

Corey Hospital closes and construction begins on Geauga Community Hospital

1959

Geauga Community Hospital, a 56-bed facility, opens its doors

1963

A new 51-bed patient wing including Pediatrics, enhanced diagnostic and support services

1968

Critical Care Unit opens

1973

A new 64-bed patient wing opens, accommodating enhanced ancillary and support services

1980

A long-range strategic development plan is launched that includes a two-phase expansion plan

1983

Phase I is initiated, resulting in a new three-story 80,000 square-foot wing

1985

Phase II includes Cardiology, Physical/Occupational Therapy, Radiology and Social Services

1995

Geauga Hospital becomes a member of the University Hospitals Health System

1998

Hospital introduces the area’s first 20-bed Behavioral Health Unit

1998

Hospital is selected as one of the nation’s Top 100 Hospitals by HCIA Inc. and William Mercer, Inc.

1999

New $7.4 million Outpatient Surgery Center opens

1999

On-site MRI service opens

2002

Hospital celebrates its 50th anniversary, highlighted by an Anniversary Gala

2002

Hospital is selected one of the nation’s Top 100 Hospitals by the Solucient Institute

2003

Center for Women’s Health opens, providing advanced obstetrical and gynecological care in a private, homelike environment

2004

Hospital opens Geauga County’s first Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, featuring full integrated digital equipment

2005

New $2 million digital MRI system opens, offering faster and more precise diagnostic images

2006

Norma N. Chapman Emergency Center is dedicated, providing private treatment rooms and doubling the size of the previous facility

2006

Dedicated 16-bed Orthopaedic Center opens for patients undergoing joint replacement surgery and reconstructive spine procedures

2007

Construction begins on a $4.5 million addition to the Richard J. Frenchie Surgical Pavilion

2008

Integration with UH Harrington-McLaughlin Heart & Vascular Institute and the UH Neurological Institute

2008

University Hospitals Ireland Cancer Center now University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center offers on-site cancer care

2009

Chest Pain Center Accreditation awarded by the Society of Chest Pain Centers

2009

Bronze Achievement Award for stroke care

2009

Rainbow Kids' Care Established

2009

Establishment of the Primary Care Institute

2009

Geauga becomes 100% digital with the addition of digital mammography and a new 64 slice CT scanner

Make an Appointment

Request an appointment with a specialist at University Hospitals.
440-285-3035

More Scheduling Options

Need to Refer a Patient?

Click here for Patient Referrals

Browse Services A-Z

Maps and Directions

Click here for directions